a 501(c)(3) non profit California corp, EIN #26-3124447
Foods & Household Items Dangerous to Dogs
Whether you are looking to adopt your first pet, or you are a veteran dog owner, it’s important to be aware of the environment you are providing for your furry friends. You may have heard that some foods, like chocolate, are poisonous to dogs, but that’s only part of the whole story. Many everyday objects and substances are harmful (and can even prove fatal!) to dogs.
Listed below are plants, food and poisons found in the household that are toxic or dangerous to your pet. It is wise to make sure these items are not in your backyard, or in reach of your pet.
The following plants are all dangerous to some degree. Some, like oleander and Dieffenbachia (dumb cane) can cause death almost instantly. Others may cause only a mild reaction, but it is still best to remove them from any areas where they would be in contact with your pet.
This is not a complete list, so if you are in any doubt about the safety of plants that you have, please contact your veterinarian or the poison control center. The ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center Hotline numbers are as follows:
Plants dangerous for small animals:
For detailed information on specific plants, visit the ASPCA at the following link: http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_toxicplants
Australian flame tree
Bird of paradise
Kentucky coffee tree
Snow on the mountain
Crown of thorns
Lords and ladies
Experts at the
ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center
urge you to avoid feeding the following foods to your pet:
Insecticide, Pesticide, & Rodenticide Poisonings
Insecticides, rodenticides, and other pesticides are designed to kill certain types of animals. Many of the ingredients in these products can also kill or make a dog or puppy seriously ill. Always read and carefully follow directions before applying any product to your dog. If using insecticides, pesticides, or rodeticides (rat poisons) in the environment, restrict the dog’s access to areas where they have been applied or use. Store these products out of the reach of children and pets.
Snail Bait Poisoning (Metaldehyde Toxicity)
In California, snail bait constitutes the most common poisoning agent in the dog. Not that malicious poisoning is the issue; most cases are inadvertent as many gardens have both dogs and snail problems. Snail bait is commonly formulated in pellets (which can resemble dog food) and flavored with molasses or bran to attract snails (and unfortunately is attractive to dogs as well). Snail baits are also available as liquids and powders which can get onto paws and be licked off in normal grooming. Very little snail bait is required to cause poisoning (less than a teaspoon per 10 lbs of body weight).
Pet Education Link: